Sunday, December 28, 2008

Recipes

I like to cook (sometimes). I like my family to eat healthy meals on a regular basis. I work full time. Life is short. Cooking time should be short, too! I tend to do my own spin on OAMC (once a month cooking). I usually cook a few favorite dishes and triple them so that 2 can go in the freezer. I keep a list on the fridge called "Meals on Hand". I can then take out a frozen meal the night before and put it in the fridge. Occasionally I have a big cooking day where I'll make a bunch of meals ahead. (Being that I'm a big over the edge, I do tend to jot down the meals for the week on my calendar.) It's nice to know that I can make some quick spaghetti on a busy night or put a roast in the crockpot when I want something delicious. I thought I'd try to post a few recipes every Sunday night. Most of what I'll post is true and tried recipes that you can freeze. (I use 9x13 pans (or 2 8x8 ones), cover with plastic wrap AND foil. Write the cooking instructions (along with "thaw in fridge overnight" and "REMOVE PLASTIC WRAP") on the foil. White Chicken Chili is a new favorite. Spinach Lasagna is definitely on of my family's favorite meals. (In case you don't know us, my kids eat most anything and love veggies and gourmet foods! Sushi is "fast food" to us.) So, most nights I pull something out of the "meals on hand" list. If I'm feeling energetic after work, I'll cook something from one of my favorite Rachel Ray cookbooks. Enjoy!

White Chicken Chili

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6-8

1 small onion chopped
2 t garlic powder
2T olive oil
2 jalapeno peppers minced
4 oz can chopped green chilies, drained
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1 t dried oregano
1 t salt
3 C chicken broth (use a little more if you want)
1 can cooked northern beans, drained (or 2 cans)
16 oz cooked chicken breast, cubed (about 4 cups, use less if you want)
1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Combined all ingredients and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
Or combined all ingredients in a freezer bag. To reheat, place frozen chili in crockpot on low for 3 hours.
Top with Monterey Jack cheese and chips before serving, if desired.


Spinach Lasagna

1 box lasagna noodles
2 26oz jars spaghetti sauce
12 oz small curd cottage cheese
12 oz part skim ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 T sugar
1 tsp basil
2 boxes frozen spinach
1 T chopped garlic
2 c shredded mozzarella

Mix together cottage and ricotta cheese, egg, sugar and basil. Defrost spinach in microwave (squeeze out water) and add garlic. Pour a generous amount of sauce in the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of noodles, then more sauce. Make a layer of spinach, then noodles. Add a layer of the cheese mixture then sauce. Cover with a layer of noodles, sauce, and the mozzarella cheese. Bake 350 degrees for 40-60 minutes. Let sit 10 min. before serving.

Mozzarella cheese (top layer)
Sauce
Noodles
Sauce
Cheese mix
Noodles
Spinach
Sauce
Noodles
Sauce (bottom layer)

2 comments:

blessedmomX3 said...

Yummy! Do you use glass 9x13 to store in freezer?

Jennifer said...

I sometimes use glass, but mostly I use disposable aluminum pans.