Saturday, April 4, 2009

Coconut Cake

Here's a DELICIOUS coconut cake recipe... and I'm not even a cake girl! I made it for my father-in-law's birthday. He had two pieces after dinner and one for breakfast! The rest was quickly gobbled down by the girls who kept raving over how wonderful the kitchen smelled when I was baking it. Obviously I haven't been baking lately. Now that our school break is over, it's back to the whirlwind of life.

Put on your flip flops. Bake some cake and dream of summer!

Coconut Cake
1 white cake mix
1/2 c. oil
1 c. water
2 eggs
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Mix ingredients together for cake. Beat well. Bake in greased 13X9 pan. When cake is done, while it is still hot, punch many holes in the top (using a wooden skewer).

Icing
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can cream of coconut (stir well as it sometimes separates)
1 8 oz. tub Cool Whip- thawed
2 pkgs. frozen coconut (I just used 1/2 package of shredded coconut from the baking aisle)

While cake is still hot, drizzle Eagle brand milk and cream of coconut over cake, allowing it to run into the holes. Let cake cool. Then spread cool whip on top and sprinkle fresh frozen coconut on top of Cool Whip. Refrigerate. Better made a day ahead. (and even better for breakfast!!)

No comments: