Monday, January 5, 2009

Recipe 2

Here's a few more family and freezer friendly recipes! I must admit, I REALLY hate to use canned soups (processed food/high sodium/etc. issues!) but I do have a few casseroles that I have not had time to experiment with in order to make them more healthy. Both of these can be made with left over turkey or chicken. If you are going to make either of these, it's pretty easy to make 2 or 3 at once.

Turkey Rice Casserole (Mild Flavor)

3 cups cooked rice
4 cups cooked turkey, chopped
2 small onions, chopped
1 c celery, chopped
2 cups grated cheese
4 cans cream of mushroom soup
Salt and pepper to taste.

In large bowl, mix ingredients together. (Sometimes I sauté the onions and celery a bit rather than putting them in raw.) Divide between 2 9x13 pans (or large ziplock bags). Cover with foil. Label and freeze. Thaw overnight. Bake 350 degrees 45 min. or until hot.

Mexican Chicken

6 chicken breasts (boiled and diced)
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can chicken broth
1 medium chopped onion
2 cups shredded cheese
1 med. Bag of Doritios

Mix Ro-Tel, soups, onion, and chicken broth in bowl. Crunch up Doritos in bottom of greased casserole pan just enough to cover the bottom. Put small amount of cheese on top. Add chicken. Pour most of the sauce mix over the chicken. Add layer of Doritos (do not crush). Add more cheese. Pour remaining sauce over this. Add last layer of cheese. Bake 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.

No comments: